What is CST (CranioSacral Therapy)?
CST was pioneered and developed by John E. Upledger who is an osteopathic surgeon. He conducted extensive scientific studies from 1975 to 1983 at Michigan State University where he served as a clinical researcher and Professor of Biomechanics.
CST is a gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the functioning of the physiological body system called the craniosacral system. This system is comprised of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord.
Using a soft touch generally no greater than 5 grams, (about the weight of a nickel), practitioners release restrictions in the craniosacral system to improve the functioning of the central nervous system.
CST is increasingly used as a preventive health measure for its ability to bolster resistance to disease. It is effective for a wide range of medical problems associated with pain and dysfunction, including:
SER (Somato-Emotional Release) is a therapeutic process that uses and expands on the principles of CranioSacral Therapy to help rid the mind and body of the residual effects of trauma. SER offers applications designed to enhance results using CST and other complementary therapies.
- Migraine Headaches
- Chronic Neck and Back Pain
- Motor-Coordination Impairments
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Orthopedic Problems
- Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Infantile Disorders
- Learning Disabilities
- Chronic Fatigue
- Emotional Difficulties
- Stress and Tension-Related Problems
- Fibromyalgia and other Connective-Tissue Disorders
- Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
- Neurovascular or Immune Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Post-Surgical Dysfunction
- Assess and mobilize the Avenue of Expression working through more than 10 different body components, including the thoracic inlet, hard palate and hyoglossal tissues.
- Locate and release Energy Cysts.
- Release suppressed emotions that may be inhibiting complete structural releases.
- Refine listening and comprehension skills.
- Improve palpation and whole-body evaluation skills.
Chip Sorensen has been practicing CST for a number of years. He is certified at the Advanced level and in SER. He combines EFT with his CST work for some remarkable outcomes.
Chronic Neck Pain:
"It is so nice to wake up in the morning without my neck hurting!"
Following a back injury:
"I can feel my hands again."
Following CST for a 5-week-old with facial distortion:
"Your face has changed!"
An adult with Brain Damage:
"At first I had a headache. When it passed I was more clear-headed; I could think better. I felt better. It was great!"